Sunday 29 May 2011

Dating - could I be arsed?

I wonder should we get fussier about who we date as we get older or simply throw caution to the wind and grant a meetup to anyone who has the conviction to go ahead and ask for our number?

This afternoon fell into column B for me. Knowing I wasn't attracted to my date, I had nevertheless given him my number last week because, well, he asked for it. I then very quickly found myself in a situation where I had a date pending that for most of the week, I was less than enthused about and after waking up with a hangover this morning, these mediocre enthusiasm levels had dropped to record lows. In fairness to my date, he was perfectly nice and normal and we had a fine time. Decent chats and the like and no awkwardness. But 2 hours of my life was enough and home I went after lunch.

So the afternoon went pretty much as I expected it to. No great surprises. No thunderbolt moment where I felt that my initial opinion of the guy was way off and that actually, he could be the love of my life. And at this point, after 33 years on this planet and lets face it, all 33 of them spent sussing out men, my initial evaluation of them tends not to change very much. Give me less than half an hour with a guy and I will have formed an opinion that, rightly or wrongly, 99% of the time is likely to stick.

So hence my question. Should I just put myself out there and go on all sorts of dates with randomers when my gut tells me that after an hour I'll be looking at my watch and fabricating an excuse to leave? Or should I just be a little more discerning in my quest for Mr. Right and not waste my time with a man that can't even stir a modicum of excitement in me at the prospect of meeting up?

Any experts out there care to share a thought or 2? Because I honestly just don't know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment